Tuesday 11 September 2012

(Claire) Honeymoon period!


Life in Medina is fun...and funny! Before arriving in Brazil I was prepared to go through each stage of culture shock, and, despite finding certain things difficult (force-feeding, for example!), I'm aware that I am currently in that wonderful honeymoon period! We've been here a week, and I've found Medina to be a town of quirks, with a carnival atmosphere and yet snuggled into it's tranquil, remote surroundings. It has been a wonderful experience getting to know this corner of Brazil's vast 'interior', and I know that amongst the many tragedies that we will find, there are many wonders to discover as well...


These are some of the elements of this new world that I've enjoyed the most...! The wonderful range of colours that people paint their houses - and the surprising number of bright green parrots that you find within them (named after grandchildren in the family); mazes of cobbled streets; the use of a horse - with or without a cart - for transport; the always-visible view of the surrounding hills which create a beautiful silhouette at sunset; the depth and consistency of hospitality by every person we've met; the fact that countless items of food get stored in Tupperware due to the heat - nothing can escape the small flimsy plastic tubs and I've found myself measuring crackers before going to the shop to find just the right container! ; the fact that when people say the pace of life is slower in the countryside - it actually is in the sense that people actually move their legs more slowly!! Especially when climbing a hill, and I've thoroughly enjoyed joining their pace (and have been overtaken by a horse  a number of times!). All of these I have enjoyed, but probably my favourite was a few nights ago when we'd done our week's shop in the supermarket near our house, paid for everything at the counter, and noticed that our bags had not only been packed for us, but were being carried out of the shop! I wondered where they were taking our pasta... We were then asked for our address, and our bags were put into a motorbike with attached side car! (see above!) The driver put his helmet on, revved up the hill and dropped our bags off at our door - which is only five houses down on the same road! This kind of delivery is normal, and free! We're now considering getting one of these as our own mode of transport... the question is...who should go in the side-car??? :)


9 comments:

  1. Great stuff guys, glad you're settling in! So proud of you both and we think of you often.

    Meg and Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot guys! Would be cool to hear how you're settling in and about job situations??!

      Delete
    2. Thank you both!! Sorry for the delay in replying to this post, it was so lovely to see a message from you! As Sam said we'd love to hear about how things are going work-wise... we trust opportunities will be opening up and that there's bubbles of excitement in you both at having the opportunity to start a new challenge... Imagining you both in your own country cottage! :) Lots of love from here xxxx

      Delete
  2. Ha ha, the force feeding is so true, my top tip....only take a little at first so that you have room to go back for seconds! As you will be aware unless you get seconds you don't like the food! Love everything you have written, especially about the plastic! Brazil wouldn't survive without plastic. Do they also store things in the oven & microwave to keep out the ants....makes hunting for the bread more interesting ;o)

    Really hope we can meet up sometime Claire and swap experiences. Well done for a great beginning. God Bless Love Bernie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Sam) Thanks for your tips!! We've now perfected the art of eating a little - making it look like a lot - and only going for seconds when people ask us to eat more.
      BUT! We have now realised it's literally something they have to say. No matter how much you've eaten already they have to say "come mais" and you have to say no and leave the table quickly! Also whenever you leave someone's house they say "but it's early" even if they're glad you're leaving, it's just a cultural obligation to say it!
      You would also not believe the number of vasilhas we've now amassed! It's even impressive by Brazilian standards ;o)
      Would be so great to meet up again - we're back in England briefly early next year.

      Delete
    2. Hi Bernadette! I don't know if you'll see this now, but I hope you do! Thanks so much for your message! It's really encouraging knowing I'm not the only one noticing these things... and to be given some sneaky tips...!! :) It's so interesting learning about another culture, and I just pray for God's grace to turn all the mistakes we're inevitable making in opportunities for friendship and understanding. I can't imagine how many people we've already offended without even realising it :( Yesterday one of our neighbours was telling me that she's had a big party where she invited her friends and family and made loads of yummy food. In response I said 'thank you' - thinking she was inviting us round for loads of yummy food! I then asked her where it was taking place, (I meant 'when'), which added to the confusion. Moments that I just hope with each person one day we can look back on and laugh! :) Would be lovely to meet up with you at some point in the near future! I've heard lots about you from Sam and know that his time with you 'up North' ;) was really special indeed. Lots of love xx

      Delete
  3. For added comfort I reckon you could fit a chat in the side-car. Could also save on some arguments on who will sit in the uncomfy side car... you'd both have seats then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! yes - I've already got plans to make a luxury side car and let Claire drive me around. No arguments necessary

      Delete
    2. Marky mark!!!! Great to hear from you! Now, what's a 'chat'? Do you mean a literal chat? I'd like to have a chat in a side car. Hmm, though something tells me this 'chat' that you speak of is a technical car term... I need to brush up on my mechanics.

      I can say with absolute certainty that Sam's plans above have nothing to do with me and are in no way going to happen! I don't want to see any encouragement from you to Sam about this ludicrous idea... ;)

      Hope you're well! xx

      Delete